Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer's End


So summer is slowly coming to a halt here in Athens. Students are back and busy as ever, finding their classes, discussing their next party or bar hop, and stumbling into Bel-Jean to get their course packets. I am currently working at the downtown copy print store to help with the back to school course packet rush. Most new students are as confused as ever, but I do have some very encouraging news to report...students from many different walks of life are refusing Bel-Jean's plastic bags to haul their packets away! Maybe people are coming around to the idea that we don't all need a new shiny bag ever time we buy the slightest item in a store! I would say that fewer than 1 out of ever 10 customers accepted my bag offer! Yay Athens! Maybe there is hope after all.

I will be out at the farmer's market tomorrow with my jewelry. Sometimes I get so tired of hauling all of my displays out to my tent only to put them back again at 12pm. Don't get me wrong, I love selling at the farmer's market and I am not generally a lazy person...but if you have seen my display there, you know that it is made up of about 20 different pieces. I am tempted to consolidate the display and just bring a folding table with a cloth to drape over it, but I just can't bring myself to take away the charm (if you will) of my display. I think I like the display as much as the jewelry! So, tomorrow I will unload the car with Ross and be wistfully thinking of a folding table and a draping cloth.

Last weekend my mother joined me at my table to sell all natural and handmade goat's milk soap. She raises the little goats herself and then uses their milk to make awesome soap the old fashioned way (lye, olive oil, etc). I have been using her soap for a while now and it leaves your skin feeling so soft! So far she has made unscented, oatmeal/honey, lemongrass, lime, lavender, and a few others that I have yet to remember. I recommend stopping by my booth to see if she is their with her soap during the remaining farmers markets. She will be joining me every once in awhile. Here are some cute pics from her farm (Promised Land Farm in Social Circle, GA):






1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, I love goats which means I am so loving this post! LOL. What sweet faces. Say, Rose, I will see you hopefully tomorrow.
    Good about the Bel-Jean bags, too.
    And I agree, since that hard rainstorm this Monday past, we've noticed a distinct undercurrent of cool air under the heat this week. So you're so right with the title of this post!
    Take care.
    Candace in Athens.

    ReplyDelete